Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Meghan McCain wants conservatives to be more... liberal?

I just read this article by Meghan McCain.

(It's actually an address to the Log Cabin Republicans Convention—a group that promotes gay issues within the GOP.)

Most of the speech she talks about herself, but I found this quote to be a little odd. She is talking about the future of the Republican party:
It would be easy to say my generation views politics very differently from others. Maybe we’re more progressive, socially liberal or just hate arguing in lieu of actually solving the problems at hand. But what I’ve learned though my experiences is that these feelings are not contained to one age group. They’re the growing beliefs and desires of people of all ages, races, genders, faiths, persuasions and political parties.

So tonight, I am proud to join you in challenging the mold and the notions of what being a Republican means.

I am concerned about the environment. I love to wear black. I think government is best when it stays out of people’s lives and business as much as possible. I love punk rock. I believe in a strong national defense. I have a tattoo. I believe government should always be efficient and accountable. I have lots of gay friends. And yes, I am a Republican.

Conservatives are allowed to wear black and listen to punk music?

Shocking.

I don't know about you, but I hate when people use a bunch of words while essentially saying nothing.

And that’s exactly what Meghan is doing here.

The reality is that social issues are an important factor in choosing a political party. (For the most part, I’d say it’s the most important.)

To talk about being “socially liberal” while claiming to be conservative in the same breath is just silly.

I’ve heard Meghan say time and time again what she doesn’t like about the Republican party, but I have yet to hear a rational example of what she does like.

1 comment:

  1. I’ve heard Meghan say time and time again what she doesn’t like about the Republican party, but I have yet to hear a rational example of what she does like.Yes. Yes, yes, yes.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?