Saturday, March 14, 2009

You've let me down again America

I just came across this comparison made by the Pew Forum:


This holiday season, the American Humanist Association has launched a campaign featuring ads on Washington, D.C., buses that proclaim, "Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness' sake."

But a 2007 survey by the Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project found that a majority of Americans say it is necessary to believe in God in order to be moral and have good values. People in Canada and many Western European countries are much less likely to hold this view, while throughout much of Africa, Asia and the Middle East there is widespread agreement that belief in God is a prerequisite for morality. For the complete 46-country comparison, see the full report at pewglobal.org.

The Pew Global report is actually really interesting. It includes the attitudes of 47 different nations on a whole list of different issues. They cover everything from gender and immigration, to technology and religion.

Since its 144 pages I haven't had a chance to read it in its entirely yet, but when looking for the information regarding this specific issue I came across this chart.

I think it gives a much clearer picture since it includes all 47 countries. Click on chart to make larger.

I know this must seem terribly boring to some people, but I can’t help but feel excited and frightened all at the same time.

Excited because this is the sort of odd information I love to have, and frightened because of America’s place in this chart.

Look at the countries that answer similar to us. We’re not equated with the Western European countries, but with the Middle East and Africa.

Really America?

The fact that 57% of our citizens think you have to believe in god to be moral is a travesty and a mockery to our intelligence (the views on homosexuality are even worse but I need to read more before I post anything).

As an atheist I find this disheartening to say the least.

*Great article here about the flaws in theistic morality.

4 comments:

  1. From one atheist to another, this is my current desktop background: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XHQKX9lK3tI/SZdB3wja8LI/AAAAAAAACi0/1Mlmy6MNz1Y/s1600-h/dawkins-bus.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done UK i knew we were good people lol.

    Of course the American figure comes as no surprise to me. But time will change this, it might take a long time to completely change but it will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brtini: I love it! I have a major crush on Richard Dawkins. I hope one day I'll get the chance to hear one of his lectures. :)

    Haworth: Isn't it ironic how one poll comes out and everything's crappy (I'm talking about the views on violence against women in the UK from a few days ago), and then the next is great? lol

    I think I have a love/hate relationship with polls and surveys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love polls that say we are good!! i hate polls that prove we are bad!! lol

    Team GB Rules!!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?