Thursday, March 26, 2009

Star Dust

I was watching a show about the loch ness monster in Scotland (hey it looked interesting) and I found myself thinking about what creationists deny their children in the name of their faith.

I know that seems like an odd connection, but it really isn’t.

See, the beginning of the show talked about how the lake was formed, and how Scotland used to be connected to North America.

I was completely flabbergasted.

It really shouldn’t have come as such a surprise since we’ve all colored little Pangaea maps in elementary school, but it’s just not one of those details that rolls around my head every day.



I found myself going back to that fact over and over.

You can look at the road cuts and see rocks in Scotland’s Highlands that match rocks found in New York perfectly.

They’re one and the same.

As my brain chewed on that wonder for a moment, I found myself thinking about creationists.

Because even though it seems so small, I had a moment of true awe at the way we’re all connected. I can’t help but think it’s a shame that so many children won’t get to experience that for themselves.

On Darwin’s Day I posted a video of Dawkins and he said something along the lines of:
“It’s a privilege to know where we come from and to deny children that privilege is wicked. It’s a depravation that should not be visited on any child when the truth is so staggeringly exciting. It really is an exciting thought, that we are cousins of all living creatures. It’s a beautiful thought.”

It is a beautiful thought.

The romantic in me revels in the idea that we’re made up of star dust.

(eagle nebula)


The atoms in our bodies have been recycled for millions of years and gone through countless other living things in countless other places. How can someone not find this extraordinary?

People wonder how atheists can take comfort in the truth that there’s no after life (though I find the idea of infinity far more frightening), but we don’t need to.

For me to know that when I die the atoms in my body will return to the universe to become something else brings me more peace and feelings of connectedness then any religion has ever given me.

To take that wondrous truth away from children is a grave injustice.

1 comment:

  1. yeah your right! i have said things along the same lines before to christian friends! they are not creationist or anything like that they are pretty normal actually but they find more comfort in the god thing, which i can except.

    But to know your part of everything is cool, to know that millions and millions of years ago something else another type of animal is part of my family line is way awesome.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?