Monday, March 16, 2009

Father Involvement PSA

I am totally loving these public service announcements from the National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse.

From youtube:
More than 79% of Americans feel "the most significant family or social problem facing America is the physical absence of the father from the home." Research shows that the lack of a father in the home correlates closely with crime, educational and emotional problems, teenage pregnancy, and drug and alcohol abuse.

In an effort to show dads the critical role they play in their children's lives, the Ad Council has partnered with the National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse and volunteer ad agency Campbell-Ewald to create a new PSA campaign that communicates to fathers that their presence is essential to their children's well-being. The campaign provides fathers with the information they need to become better dads.





I’ve talked a little about my childhood before, but I don’t know if I talked about my relationship with my Uncle Talmadge.

I went into foster care when I was fourteen and I eventually went to live with my uncle and aunt after they received guardianship of me. Even thought my Uncle Talmadge isn’t actually my blood relative (my aunt is my mom’s sister) you would never know.

We are like two seriously weird and dorky peas in a pod.

Some of my fondest memories are of just hanging out with him on the couch watching Star Trek and arguing about obscure details of wars we weren’t even alive to see firsthand.

My uncle is one of those people who can grasp any concept and look at any situation with sometimes eerie clarity. He was always willing to help me with my physics projects (I’ll never forget the time he climbed the neighbor’s roof to see if my egg catcher would work) and I never felt like I couldn't go to him with any problem.

Even though he and my aunt got divorced a few years ago, we are still very much family and he thinks of me as his daughter (Holden has so many grandmas and grandpas its almost ridiculous).

We always say that boys need a father in their lives so they can learn how to be a man, but my Uncle Talmadge showed me how to measure a man.

And far too many fall short of his example.

So good job NRFC!

More information about the National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse can be found here.

3 comments:

  1. This was a really awesome tribute to your uncle! I was lucky enough to have both a mom and dad, but my childhood was still messed up because my mother was always so ill it really affected the whole family. But there are a lot of people worse off, so I shouldn't complain. I made it out of childhood in reasonably good shape! And I was lucky enough to choose a wonderful man as my husband and he's the best father in the world. Unfortunately reproduction doesn't require any responsibility and too many people reproduce without any thoughts of the consequences, and then innocent kids pay the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I didn't mean for it to be when I started but it just felt natural to talk about him. lol

    I totally agree with people not being picky enough with who they have children with. Plus, you never really know what kind of parent you're gonna end up being.

    Sorry to hear about your mom. My grandma has always been really ill and it is extremely difficult to deal with all the stress that comes along with being sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first one with the cheerleading dad made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?