Thursday, February 5, 2009

Patricia Briggs and Rape in Books

I just finished the book Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs and I’m having an issue with Briggs’ use of sexual assault.

It’s kind of hard to explain why this is bothering me so much.

I think some authors can write about sexual abuse/rape in a way that is beneficial. Fictional stories are a good way to get people to relate to the victims and understand how traumatizing something like sexual assault can really be.

But other times, I almost feel like the author is using it as a mere writing tool in order to get the reader to sympathize with the character. That is NOT okay with me because I feel like it degrades the victims of sexual abuse into a marketing tool.

I guess that’s how I feel about Patricia Briggs. I could accept one series where the main character is raped, but seeing as this is second where her main character is raped, it really irritates me.

I also felt the same way when I finished Faefeve by Karen Moning (who the hell ends a book with a group rape orgy?).

Andrew Vachss on the other hand, writes about sexual assault and child abuse in a way that really resonates in me.

So I guess it just comes down to the ability of the author and their point of view, but it seems like every other book I read has someone being raped in it.

It's bothersome to say the least.

2 comments:

  1. The only book I can remember reading with a rape scene was The Fountainhead. I don't know if you're familiar with it but the character who gets raped actually ENJOYS it. That was disturbing to me. Then a teacher explained, "But that's the only way she'd be taken," as if that make it OK. But it is an Ayn Rand book. That should speak volumes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually haven't read it. I will definitely put it on my list. :)

    It seems that all of Rand's male heroes are rapists. lol

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?