Saturday, January 31, 2009

Song Covers

My friends and I were discussing our favorite song covers and I thought I would share my top five since I’m totally bored and never seem to have anything to talk about on the weekends. :)

The reason I especially love these five is because they took a song and turned it into a personal expression instead of trying to replicate the originals.

Just goes to show that all art is measured and received differently by the individual.

Billie Jean:
This is an acoustic cover of Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean by Chris Cornell. Obviously Cornell kicked ass in Soundgarden and Audioslave, but this cover is one of my all time favorites.



Hey Ya:
This is a cover of Hey Ya by Mat Weddle of Obadiah Parker. It is amazing! Anything else I can say would only take away from the song. This is a crappy video someone made, but the sound is perfect.



Back to Black:
This is the Ruble Strips cover of Back to Black by Amy Winehouse. I heard their song Girls and Boys in Love in the movie Run Fat Boy Run and I just loved their sound (plus the singer is adorable).



Imagine:
This is A Perfect Circle’s cover of Imagine by John Lenon. Maynard is just effing amazing. Nothing more needs to be said. I don’t think there’s a song he could touch that I wouldn’t love.



Nutshell:
This is a cover of Nutshell by Staind. It takes a giant of a performer to cover something by Alice in Chains and Aaron Lewis is obviously more than able. I actually like his version better than the original. This cover is different from the others because Staind didn’t actually change the sound of the song, but it had to be included. Period.



Staind also does an amazing cover of Tool’s Sober and Pearl Jam’s Black. Oh and their covers of Pink Floyd’s Comfortably Numb and Nothing else Matters by Metallica have to be mentioned as well. (So shoot me, I love Staind and they can cover anything.)

I also love:
Johnny Cash’s version of Nine Inch Nails Hurt
Ryan Adams version of Oasis’s Wonderwall
I can’t believe it, but Brittney Spears cover of Boby Brown’s My Prerogative
Sublime’s cover of the Toots & the Maytals’ 54-46 That's My Number/ Ball and Chain. Sublime wrote the second part of the song (Ball and Chain) but I love the way they combined the sounds.

So that's it. The more I think about it the more I remember so I'm gonna stop here. lol

I would love to hear some of your favorites though. :)

*Just follow the links if you want to hear the covers I’m talking about.

5 comments:

  1. I would have in my top 5

    1 Johny Cash cover of that 9inch nails song that escapes me at the moment.

    2 Whip with there cover of White Wedding By Billy Idol

    3 British Sea powers cover of I am a Cider Drinker by the Wurzels

    4 Travis with there cover of Britney Spears Baby One More Time

    5 Oasis's cover of I am a Walrus by the beatles.

    you have some great covers there, love the stained one, are they still going??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that Travis cover is completely ridiculous but really good. lol

    And yes Staind is still together (thank goodness!). They are doing a world tour right now actually.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. really, you dont hear to much about them over here anymore, they were really big for a while. then whoosh gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to say that Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" is one of my favorites. And I like Britney's version of My Prerogative, too. Nirvana also did a kickass version of Where Did You Sleep Last Night? by Leadbelly that gives me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beezlebub i agree with the Nirvana one i prefer the Lead Belly version tho. Maybe its cos im a Lead Belly geek love him so much.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?