Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Prayer and birds

I was watching The View yesterday morning (because I must secretly be a masochist) and something Sherri Shepherd said really bothered me.

They were talking about the Hudson River plane crash (the one caused by a crazy flock of birds) and Sherri commented on the passenger reports of getting down on their knees and starting to pray. She says this is proof that prayer works.

I like Sherri Shepard as an actress. I LOVE Everybody Loves Raymond and she was great on that show, but she is not the brightest tool in the shed. (This clip is a good example.)



I do want to give credit to Whoopi for stopping Sherri and giving praise to the pilot who had over twenty years experience, but my point is this:

People pray during all plane crashes.

I know I’m being a little bit of a whiney bitch, but why can’t we point out that if god saved these people, he condemned all the others? I also don't understand why we give him credit for saving people from things, when he created the things that threatened them in the first place.

He is responsible for all or nothing people. You can’t have it both ways.

It just makes me sick that a school like BYU had the audacity to claim that god rewards the righteous when they win a football game or how music artists thank god first and foremost when winning an award.

Because any god that intervenes during a football game or in the sale of a hip hop album while allowing children to be raped and starved to death is a pathetic excuse of an intelligent being.

That’s not even taking into account the scientific research that shows prayer does NOT work. I am not crazy enough to use this as sole proof that god does not exist, but I do think it shows that if there is a god, he or she doesn’t intervene. (In fact, the people who knew they were being prayed for in the study actually deteriorated in health due to the stress of wanting to do good for the study.)

Or the fact that god could have just moved the birds.

People say we only have to look at the beauty of the world to know proof of God. Well, I also see death, famine, rape, disease, and... Miley Cyrus. How are we to explain that?

We can't.

Photobucket

Epicurus also said it was a good thing god didn't answer prayers because too many people are praying for their enemy’s demise.

Brilliant.

(I guess I'm just in one of those moods. lol)

2 comments:

  1. Obama has alot of work to do with education!! If someone thinks Christianity is the first religion ever! Well for one Jesus was Jewish!! duh. thus Judaism is older ;lets not forget Hinduism, Taoism, Buddism and Confuciunism all major world religions that came before Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...it doesn't make any sense at all for her to think that. lol

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?