Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I want to talk about Christmas

The last five posts, at least besides the randomness I like to interject at all parts of my life, have been political and/or religion fueled. In order to not conform to my own blog, I am going to move away from that. You’re welcome.

I was reading a post at Musings of a Would-Be Writer about the stress of holidays and how it seems that us moms get stuck with most of the work.

I totally agree.

It’s definitely hard to get into the holiday when it just means more work. Because honestly, Christmas is just a load of crap. All the good things about the holiday are at the bottom of a huge pile of shit. I don’t understand why I can clearly see this now, but it really puts a damper on my holiday spirit. (HA! I knew there was spirit in me somewhere lol. )

Maybe this is one of those things that you loved as a child but can’t seem to stand now that the torch has been handed off to you.

Since we are going to San Diego for the week of Christmas, I get out of having to decorate or put up a tree. (It’s okay to feel jealous.) I know I probably still should, but I should also run every day and do laundry more than once a month. Since those things are still waiting for approval, it’s not looking good for the weird artificial tree in our basement.

We also aren’t buying any presents. That’s right. NONE. We are just too broke and the whole family tends to go crazy with Holden since he’s the only grandson on all sides. My mom has already spent two hundred dollars on him. TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. He hasn’t even turned three yet. I don’t know what goes on in these people’s heads to make them think that he needs every toy on the market. (Toy’s for Tots here we come!)

I am going to make a few paintings for some of the family. I’m not sure if I should do so for Ryan’s parents though because I am pretty sure they don’t like my art. Out of the dozen or so paintings I know they’ve seen, not once have they commented on any of it. I know that probably doesn’t seem too strange but believe me, by the tenth of eleventh time you start to notice (especially when it’s a gargantuan painting that fills up an entire wall).

Photobucket
Pretty freggin obvious.

I don’t ever want someone to feel obligated to hang up something I made. In fact, that is more depressing than just not liking it because we can’t help what we find beautiful.

I am going to kind of miss having snow on Christmas though. It makes Christmas feel so much more...well, more Christmasy. Hey, I'm even more shocked than you are that I feel this way.

1 comment:

  1. I've decided I'm going to make as many gifts as possible, and shop consignment, Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other thrift shops. I'm tired of asking family members what they want then just buying it. They can buy themselves that stuff. I want to put in some care and thought and consideration about that person when getting them a gift. Since our family is so big, we draw names for gifts. I drew my brother-in-law who is a religious nutcase freak. Drives me up a wall. But I'm making him a beaded bookmark for his Bible as a gift. I don't agree with his thinking, but I'm trying to be considerate of him for his gift! I'm still not blitzing my house with Christmas bling, though. Just a tree and a few favorite things. And it's a fake tree! Here in ND real trees dry up and needles fall off like the Charlie Brown tree within a couple of days. Anyway, enjoy Christmas in California! (we've got a couple of feet of snow!)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?