Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Marriage Doesn't Represent My Relationship

I have never had a positive image of marriage. My parents never married and my grandparents were long divorced before I was born. In fact, I can’t think of one happily married couple from my childhood. Like me, most of my friends were raised in single parent homes. Even when I moved in with my aunt and uncle, I realized that sometimes it is actually the marriage itself that is poisoning the family cohesiveness.

It doesn’t take a psychiatrist to tell me that this is probably the main reason I don’t want to get married… ever.

So with everything that’s been going on with prop 8 and Ryan’s sister getting married, I have been thinking about this a lot. I realized that even if I wanted to get married, I wouldn’t do so when gay couples aren’t given the same opportunity. And I won’t. Not until marriage becomes the true embodiment of love, sacrifice and family instead of some hollow religious check mark on the way to the playground in the sky.

Photobucket

So that’s it. No big rant or fact checking on this one, just my simple declaration to try and love Ryan with the same dedication and joy gay couples around the country embody everyday.

Maybe one day marriage will reflect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?