Monday, November 3, 2008

Is Equality a Right or Privilege?

I sometimes wish I still lived in California. It has been hard adjusting to Utah and I miss my friends and family immensely. More than anything though, I wish I could vote NO on Prop 8.

I could go on and on about how tax paying citizens should have equal rights under the law or any other of the MANY valid points that sustain the idea that gay marriage should be a fundamental right, but I feel I don’t need to.

You should never need an argument FOR equality.

The truth is gay marriage does not hurt straight marriage. (And if the idea of two men together does, then you have a totally different problem going on.) What this comes down to is the basic idea of freedom. What do we have the freedom to do? Who do we have the freedom to love? Conservatives have a habit of pointing the finger and condemning the left of wanting more government in our lives, but having those questions answered by the LAW seems like government impeding in our lives in the worst way.

Another point the opponents of equality try to bring up is children. “It protects our children from being taught in public schools that “same-sex marriage” is the same as traditional marriage, and prevents other consequences to Californians who will be forced to not just be tolerant of gay lifestyles, but face mandatory compliance regardless of their personal beliefs.”

First off, I don’t believe I remember being taught about marriage in school. I am also pretty comfident the parents and churches of this school of thought will have that covered since they like to start the brain washing at a young age. Second, what is up with the line about being forced to be tolerent? Hello, you are supposed to be tolerent of different lifestyles when you live in a democratic country. And yes, you should comply with the law regardless of your personal beliefs. That is another cost of having personal freedoms that are PROTECTED by the law (as opposed to threatened).

I guess it just comes down to the way you look at things. I was watching George Carlin’s It’s Bad For Ya and he brought up a really good point. If rights can be taken away, then they aren’t rights at all.

They are privileges.



I thought this NO on Prop 8 commercial was funny.

And just to throw out the claim that, “It overturns the outrageous decision of four activist Supreme Court judges who ignored the will of the people,” I would like to point out that three of those judges were selected by Republican Governers. It is also not the courts job to follow the will of the people. (What about the people who thought it was okay to kill and maim any “colored” folk who stepped out of line in the south?) It is the courts job to interpret the meaning of the constitution, whether or not the people want to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you 100%. I'm so sick of conservative right wingers trying to dictate what people should believe and how they should live. Yuck. I'm a live and let live kinda girl. Quit trying to legislate love. I'm originally from California, too. Then lived in Oregon most of my life. Now in ND. It's not so tolerant here. It makes me sad. Though there is the tiniest of chances that come tomorrow we could actually be a blue state!!!
    Keep up the good work, and I look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?